While there are the obvious threats to safety in your home, from sharp corners to the hair straightener that you forgot to switch off (literally my worst nightmare), there are some items in the home that we use every day that are more dangerous than we realize. As harmless as they seem, and as essential as these items are, you need to make sure that you know how dangerous they are.
One of the main reasons for fires in the home is not clearing out the lint filter in the washer or dryer. It's always beneficial to get into the habit of taking the lint out of your filter every time you use it. And if you let lint build up, it can stop the dryer working as effectively, so before you call an appliance repair company out to take a look at the dryer, clean out the filter first. On top of this, make sure you remove lint from the vent pipe at the back of the machine every 3 months.
The dangers of electric blankets have been widely communicated as far as their potential for causing fires, but if you have an elderly relative that uses them, there is a minor chance that heat stroke can happen. Instead of using an electric blanket, it's much safer, and cheaper, to add a few layers to the bed if you're feeling cold and use a good old fashioned hot water bottle or microwavable wheat bag.
In the summer, air conditioning is essential, but if you have a leaking AC, this can cause refrigerant poisoning. This could lead to seizures or heart palpitations. If you use the AC a lot during the summer months, and you notice a leak, don't try to fix it yourself. You are much better off calling a professional to do this.
Much like the other heavy pieces of furniture, a flat-screen television is a big risk to your kids. Because the flat-screen TV is so thin, it's easy to tip over. Nowadays, most flat-screen televisions come with instructions on how to secure them to the wall. This is the best plan of action if you want your flat-screen TV to have pride of place in your living room.
Any source of gas
Any area that provides gas heating, such as the oven, or charcoal grills, could cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Because carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, it is not detected until it's too late. Make sure you have a carbon monoxide monitor in your home and notice the symptoms of carbon monoxide in the house, including frequent headaches and fatigue. You should have any gas appliances and boilers checked once a year and get a safety certificate.
Cords and wires
Apart from them being a tripping hazard, this is one of the major causes of fires every year. The main reason is that people are overloading the system, so if you plug a lot of electrical items into one source, do your best not to overload the system and plug the items into different areas of the house, and invest in some surge protector extensions in case of power cuts.
As far as making changes to your home is concerned, these are the most common appliances that we use every day to keep an eye on. So be vigilant, and be safe!