*This is a collaborative post with Nectar.*
So if I said to you; "you've got 10 minutes to go around your home and find 10 items that show a part of your personality" what would you choose? I was asked to do just that by Nectar as part of their new #makesmeME campaign. The campaign aims to celebrate individuality and you can all take part by downloading the new Nectar app, sharing an item that shows your personality and then possibily winning a personalised "thank you" from Nectar. You can find out all the info here.
Now when I got started on this campaign I had no idea what to pick! I'll admit I'm quite a complicated person and honestly couldn't think of anything that would show my personality very well. But I was determined to give it a go and managed to find 10 things that all mean something to me and, I think, say something about the sort of person I am too. Fancy a look?
1. So the first item I picked is something that I see every morning and every night when I look in the mirror. It's my Race for Life medal from 2009. I completed the race with my Mum, who had recently recovered from breast cancer at the time. It meant so much to be able to do the race with her, and to raise money for such an important cause at the same time.
Now I look at it in a slightly different way as my Mum actually died 2 years later when the cancer returned. But despite the sadness that now comes with it, I am still so proud of her from completing that race and really cherish the memories from that day in 2009.
I've got a few sporting medals, not that I get to take part in competitive events very often now.. but this shows both the sporting side of me, my passion for charity fundraising and my love for her.
2. Another item that is connected with my Mum.. you're probably already seeing that she actually plays a large part in my personality, I'm a lot like her which I'm proud of.
This is part of a photo frame that I bought for her... this side says "First my Mother, forever my Friend" and then on the other side is a photo of the two of us at a Christmas meal.
Honestly, this completely sums up our relationship. She was my best friend.
This photo frame is in my bedroom on the bookshelf and again it's something I see every day.
3. I am a big book reader and always have been. I used to read literally mountains of books. Now I'm slightly slower than I used to be, simply because I don't have as much time to sit down and read these days.
This is my favourite book of all time; Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It was the first "classical" book that I read, and I picked it up when I was about 9. I remember not understanding all of the words at the time, but the book really spoke to me.
Since then I've studied it at college and make a point to read it at least once a year!
The story never gets old, it still makes me laugh and cry. I'm not entirely sure what it says about my personality but I love it.
4. Now I couldn't take about my personality without mentioning my love for tea, and hot chocolate.. and coffee.. and horlicks.. and ovaltine... oh okay, my love for almost all hot drinks!
But I'm not actually focussing on the drinks themselves (because I couldn't possibly choose one) instead it's this gorgeous mug.
Now this actually not only shows my love of hot drinks, but also my "hobby" of entering competitions! I won it in a Christmas competition from Anthropolgie.
It's a huge mug and has a motto I try to live by "do your best" on the side. For me, if you've done your best then that's all you can do!
5. So along with books I also adore a good movie. I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a sucker from romantic comedies. Love and laughs, what more do you want?!
So I've chosen my two favourites; The Proposal and the Holiday. For me these cannot be beaten, they are perfection.
I'll admit that this is largely due to the fact that Sandra Bullock and Kate Winslet are my two favourite actresses. Plus, Ryan Reynolds... (y'know what I mean!)
The Holiday is technically a Christmas film but I happily watch it all year round, while The Proposal makes me long for Alaska as I fell in love with the country years ago (but too cold for me).
6. It's probably not very easy for you to tell what this is from the photo but it is my leather jacket.
Those of you who have been around for a while will know that I love leather; in particular jackets and boots.
This is mainly due to the fact that I am a biker, so obviously wearing leather is a large part of that anyway.
So this shows the biker, slightly tougher side of my personality, which I suppose doesn't get shown on here very often! I was going to choose my bike rather than the jacket, but she needs a clean!
7. I put a big effort into keeping this a non-political space, so I'm kind of breaking my own rule here but this is about my personality so it deserves a place.
This is my Liberal Democrat membership card. I am liberal and proud of it.
I believe in equality, fairness and freedom.
So often these days there is opression everywhere you look and it's important that there are people who stand up and say "that's not ok"... I aim to be one of those people!
8. Now you all know that I love makeup and beauty... it's one of the main reasons I set up this site in the first place (4 years ago)!
But these are two of my key pieces, that mean a lot to me.
The first is eyeliner, so I have worn eyeliner for years. I have quite big eyes and without eyeliner they just look unbelievably bare! This eyeliner pen makes my thin winged look quick and easy.
The second is nail varnish, but in particular this colour, which is called "Hello Sailor". I simply adore it because my favourite colour is blue and it always reminds me of summer and the sea.
9. I was running out of ideas at this point, but these are on my dining table at the minute. I nearly always have flowers in the house... despite having hayfever!
They brighten up the room and make me smile every single time I look at them.
I'm a big lover of nature, and so flowers let me bring the outside in!
10. I'm not entirely sure he counts as a possession but I couldn't not mention my gorgeous dog could I?
I am a huge dog lover anyway, but this puppy is really something special. He is the light of my life and I would be lost without him.
Isn't he cute?
So that's the 10 things in my house that I could find in 10 minutes that #makesmeME... it was much harder than I thought it would be!
I'd love to know your thoughts on my 10, and maybe let me know what you would choose in the comments below.
And remember you can take part yourself either through the new Nectar app or on the website here.
Stay safe, x