Now I don't know about you but I spend a lot of time browsing Pinterest, and during my online travels I see all sort of ingenious foodie creations using jam jars. I've always wanted to give it a go myself, so when I heard about thinkmoney's Jam J-art challenge, I knew I wanted to take part!
As you can see from the post title I've called my creation "A Delicious Disaster" that's because it didn't turn out how I originally planned (cheesecake) but personally I think it's even better than it should have been and it truly is delicious & perfect for summer!
To make this you will need:
Now shall we get started?
1. The first thing you need to do is make the biscuit base. So grab your 125g of chocolate digestives and turn them into crumbs by putting them in a bag & whacking it with a rolling pin!
3. Tip the crumb mix into the bottom of the jar and press down firmly to create an even layer! Then chill in the fridge for at least an hour so that it sets firm!
4. To make the filling start by mixing the soft cheese, 100g icing sugar and a the vanilla essence into a bowl and mix together until smooth. Then add in the cream and keep mixing until completely combined.
2. When you've smashed them to smitherines put them into a bowl & add 75g of stork/butter (melt it for 20 secs in the microwave first). Mix them together until they're perfectly combined!
6. After letting it set overnight, it's time to make the topping! Take 200g of strawberries, 25g of icing sugar and 2 teaspoons of water and add them to a blender/food processor. Now don't go mad, we're not pulverizing at this stage. You only want to blend them enough that you end up with a slight puree but still with mainly whole fruit! Then spoon into the top of the jar and voila you are done!!
5. Spoon the mixture into the jar on top of the biscuit base. Work your way in from the outside inwards and make sure there are no air bubbles! Smooth the top of the mixture down and leave to set in the fridge overnight!
Now had I followed my own instructions properly at this point you would have a strawberry cheesecake with a chocolate digestive base.. but I didn't because I used single cream instead of double (oops!). So what you have instead is strawberries and cream with a chocolate digestive base and I think it's perfection!!
If you want to take a fresh & fruity dessert on a summer picnic then this is perfect, it's in a jar so won't make a mess, you can mix it up in the jar and there's plenty for everyone!!
It may not have turned out exactly how I had planned at the beginning, but it is "a delicious disaster" and I will definitely be making it again this summer because it truly yummy and so easy to transport & store!!
Let me know what you think!
Stay safe, x